Nearly 250 years ago, in Italy circa 1780, the applauded biologist Luigi Galvani was in the midst of anatomising a small frog, when he realised that its leg would jerk every time two separate metal utensils touched the animal. This led him to coin the term animal electricity because he was under the impression that leg spasms were impelled by latent power in the frog’s leg.
Roughly 20 years later, Galvani’s close associate Alessandro Volta disproved the animal electricity theory by concluding that the flow of power was facilitated by the fact that the two metal instruments were physiologically combined by a damp medium, in this case the frog’s body.
Shortly thereafter, in 1800, Volta invented the original self-sustained battery and called it the voltaic pile – a meaningful development that forever changed the portability of power and inspired numerous other engineers to push the envelope of pioneering battery tech.
Modern Battery Trivia That You Likely Haven’t Heard
In a fundamental sense, batteries are much more akin to a chemistry experiment than an electrical manifestation, which is why the potato battery set-up is a very popular lesson in early schooling.
The truth is that batteries can be comprised of lead acid, lithium ion, nickel metal hydride, and countless other chemical combinations, but here is some battery-related information that isn’t necessarily mainstream:
- Worldwide demand for just lithium ion batteries is projected to eclipse $67 billion by 2022, and the aggregate value of all battery sales will exceed $140 billion at roughly the same time.
- If your smart devices are fuelled by lithium ion batteries, you should never let them drain down to an empty power level. Preferably, you should keep the charge above 50% at all times to maximise the implement’s lifespan.
- The power exploited to fabricate rechargeable batteries is approximately 5,000% more taxing than the energy emitted by the final product, which is why larger, longer-lasting batteries are becoming much more prominent.
- Apart from electric cars, the most notable surge with respect to private battery utilisation has actually been in residential homes, as Australians have become increasingly in tune with sustainable, clean energy.
Another constructive tip you should bear in mind is the valuable SA home battery scheme that just became available.
What is the Battery Scheme, and Why Should I Care about It?
The SA Marshall Government initiated a programme that provides lucrative financial assistance to homeowners who wish to obtain high-grade battery systems. This resource empowers you to obtain subsidies and affordable financing to reimagine your property’s energy dependence and efficiency. This is how to get started:
- Visit the Internet portal of an approved System Provider that can install new-age home battery systems, including those with solar capabilities.
- Work with your representative to establish an installation plan that takes full advantage of the governmental subsidies and loan vehicles.
- Arrange your official implementation date and begin enjoying your cost-effective virtual power plant, as well as the accompanying monetary rewards.
The future of energy is here right now, and obtaining clean, powerful, self-sustaining power for your home has never been more economical, so be sure to claim your battery subsidy as soon as possible.